This article is published on Medium.
If you have a traditional RESTful API then you may already be using an API management system such as Apigee, 3Scale, Kong or Amazon API Gateway. Using an API management platform has several advantages such as:
- Managing API authentication
- Analytics and logging
- Caching and traffic manipulation (e.g. transforming JSON to XML or adding a CORS header)
- Developer portals and interactive documentation
- Ability to monetize an API
- An additional layer of security (such as API request throttling)